Craig Strachan, brings us his brand new Pre-Senior Bowl Top 100 Big Board
The deadline for underclassmen to declare has now passed with a large number of juniors yet again making themselves eligible to be selected in April’s Draft. We’re also a couple of weeks away from the first of the major pre-Draft milestones – the Senior Bowl – so now feels as suitable a time as any to release my first Top 100 Big Board of 2022.
The full list is shown below, but first here’s a few things for you to look out for, delivered in the style of M-People.
Movin’ on up
- I often find myself tweeting about North Carolina QB Sam Howell (@UK_draft if you want to come and follow me) and I continue to be a major advocate of his. He’s smart, a great leader, has developed his ability to scramble and run the ball when needed and has a fantastic arm. I’ve got him as my QB1 and my number 12 overall prospect at the moment but when Dan Campbell and the Lions get up close and personal with him at the Senior Bowl it wouldn’t shock me if they identify him as their future quarterback and end up taking him with the 2nd overall pick.
- Devin Lloyd is my LB1 at this point sitting at number 17, just 4 spots ahead of Nakobe Dean. I love what both of them bring to the party (sorry…work event) but until the last few days I’ve had Dean as my number 1 linebacker. Lloyd’s performances against Oregon that I’ve only recently got round to watching, and the PAC-12 title game in particular, are what have made me move him up though. I suspect I might flip-flop between these two over the coming weeks.
- Every year most draft analysts have a guy they instantly fall in love with the first time they watch him and spend a whole host of time trying to convince everyone else to move him up their boards. This year my guy is Boise State WR Khalil Shakir. He’s a tall, lean catching machine – some of the one-handed grabs I’ve seen him pull in this season are just unbelievable. I don’t like doing pro comparisons, but you’re going to find me drawing lots of Davante Adams and Cooper Kupp parallels when it comes to pure catching ability.
Movin’ on out
- Texas A&M defensive tackle DeMarvin Leal started the season as pretty much a consensus top 5 pick. Not anymore. His 2021 tape is decidedly underwhelming and while the physical traits are all still there and he flashes elite characteristics at times, deciding whether he was holding himself back to ensure he didn’t get injured or whether he’s plateaued as a prospect is going to be really difficult. I’ve got him at number 23 but I’m really torn on him right now.
- Bubba Bolden, the Miami safety, is someone I had in my top 32 in preseason but has now completely dropped out of my top 100. He’s made a bit of a habit of picking up targeting penalties, likely as a result of not being able to diagnose plays quickly enough and having to hurl himself at breakneck speed towards players in order to try and make a tackle.
- One player I was never particularly sold on was Clemson receiver Justyn Ross. To come back from a potentially career-ending spinal injury is incredibly impressive and I love his desire to play the game. However he just doesn’t look like the same player he once was and as much as I want him to succeed, I just don’t believe he’s got it in him to become a starting NFL wide receiver anymore.
Time to break free
A quick list of names of those who just missed out on being included in this iteration of my Top 100 but who will hope that nothing can stop them from making it by the time I do my next version.
- D’Vonte Price, RB, Florida International
- Jaivon Heiligh, WR, Coastal Carolina
- Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA
- Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor
- Leo Chenal, LB, Wisconsin
- Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia
- Sevyn Banks, CB, Ohio State
Here’s the list in full then.
Top 100 Big Board
|2||Kyle Hamilton||Notre Dame||S|
|5||Ikem Ekwonu||NC State||OT|
|8||Charles Cross||Mississippi State||OT|
|9||Derek Stingley Jr.||LSU||CB|
|11||Chris Olave||Ohio State||WR|
|12||Sam Howell||North Carolina||QB|
|14||Matt Corral||Ole Miss||QB|
|16||Garrett Wilson||Ohio State||WR|
|18||Kenyon Green||Texas A&M||IOL|
|23||DeMarvin Leal||Texas A&M||DT|
|30||Trevor Penning||Northern Iowa||OT|
|32||Jahan Dotson||Penn State||WR|
|34||Isaiah Spiller||Texas A&M||RB|
|36||Jaquan Brisker||Penn State||S|
|37||Nicholas Petit-Frere||Ohio State||OT|
|39||Jalen Wydermyer||Texas A&M||TE|
|40||Kingsley Enagbare||South Carolina||EDGE|
|45||Trey McBride||Colorado State||TE|
|47||Jermaine Johnson II||Florida State||EDGE|
|50||Kenneth Walker||Michigan State||RB|
|51||Bernhard Raimann||Central Michigan||OT|
|52||Martin Emerson||Mississippi State||CB|
|56||Breece Hall||Iowa State||RB|
|57||Zion Johnson||Boston College||IOL|
|58||Cameron Thomas||San Diego State||EDGE|
|59||Jeremy Ruckert||Ohio State||TE|
|60||Khalil Shakir||Boise State||WR|
|64||Jalen Tolbert||South Alabama||WR|
|65||Brandon Smith||Penn State||LB|
|67||Kyren Williams||Notre Dame||RB|
|69||Arnold Ebiketie||Penn State||EDGE|
|71||John Metchie III||Alabama||WR|
|76||Charlie Kolar||Iowa State||TE|
|86||Sam Williams||Ole Miss||EDGE|
|87||Haskell Garrett||Ohio State||DT|
|94||Abraham Lucas||Washington State||OT|
|97||Bailey Zappe||Western Kentucky||QB|
|100||Christian Watson||North Dakota State||WR|
DRAFT TALK – 1st Round Preview – Ninety-Nine Yards
- DRAFT TALK – 1st Round Preview
- DRAFT TALK – Final Mock Draft Madness
- DRAFT TALK – QB Special
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 TE + LB
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 CBs + S
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 OT + IOL
- DRAFT TALK – Matt Waletzko Interview Special
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 EDGE + DTs
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 RBs + WRs
- Seahawks end an era, start a new one