- Height: 6’3”
- Weight 235 lbs
- College: Georgia
- Year: Senior
- Position: Edge
- An elite athlete
- Has special explosiveness. Bursts out of his stance incredibly quickly
- Is also versatile and can drop back into coverage when needed
- He can beat offensive linemen simply by being a better athlete.
- That great initial burst and speed he uses to great effect. Tracking in coverage and chasing down runners in open space.
- incredibly twitchy and flexible. He can turn the corner in a quick movement
- Also has decent skill moves and effective usage of them to get after the quarterback
- hand movement is accurate but snappy. He can swat away offensive linemen’s hands and arms who are trying to engage.
- Is able to set the edge and hold the point of attack really well.
- Unbelievably strong for someone of his size. It is more than functional.
- It means he can hold his own on running-downs.
- He is a high-floor/high-ceiling prospect.
- can be effective on all 3 downs. He can rush the passer, stop the run and drop back and cover.
- Once he gets to the NFL he is going to have to add more weight. 10 pounds minimum you would expect
- He is a lighter player and so that means he can struggle more against power. He wins with speed and athleticism rather than his overpowering strength
- Needs to develop more counter-moves. He can swipe arms and hands away nicely but you would like to see him utilise his spin/swim moves more effectively.
- Did tear his peck in 2022.
Nolan Smith is an elite-level athlete who plays with an incredibly high floor but also offers a lot of promise for development. His violent burst gives him a great base to work from and his speed is seriously disastrous for offensive linemen. Despite his smaller stature, Smith displays more functional strength than you would expect and if he can add more weight, you can expect him to transition that special explosiveness to the NFL
Who is the new big name Quarterback? – Ninety-Nine Yards
- Who is the new big name Quarterback?
- 4 Fixtures to Define the Season
- So Long Ninetynine Yards (website!)
- Draft Talk – 2024 NFL Draft Prospects Watchlist
- NFL Rookies To Watch in 2023 – Draft Talk
- Welcome to the 2023 Season
- 2023 Final NFL Mock Draft Live – Texans Pass On QB! | NFL Draft 2023
- Top 5 Quarterback Preview – 2023 NFL Draft | Draft Talk
- Top 5 Tight Ends Preview – 2023 NFL Draft | Draft Talk
- Top 5 Safety Preview – 2023 NFL Draft | Draft Talk
Image Credit: 247Sports