NEXT ON OUR SCOUTING REPORTS IS DEVIN LLOYD. CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER SCOUTING REPORTS BELOW
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 232 lbs
- College: Utah
- Year: Senior (RS)
- Position: Linebacker
Games Watched: Arizona State (2021), Stanford (2021), Oregon (2021), UCLA (2021)
- Very fast when coming towards the line of scrimmage for a tackle
- Very good at reading option plays
- Serviceable pass rusher
- Very good instincts and football IQ
- Very good tackler and quite a hard hitter
- Capable of reading and identifying plays before the ball has been snapped
- Has an “X-factor” about him that allows him to create big plays out of nothing
- Can overcommit to a lane and be left stranded
- Is quite unproven in coverage, but is quite solid when called upon to line up against a running back or a tight end
- Can to get past offensive linemen
- Is a good athlete, but not an unbelievable athlete
Projected role in the NFL:
He projects as a starting linebacker in the NFL. He would be suited to being an inside linebacker in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 and is suited more to being a middle linebacker – the “mike” linebacker, rather than being a strongside or a weakside linebacker.
Best team fit(s):
The Eagles would be a good team fit for Lloyd as they really need a good linebacker as their current options are quite weak. They could take him with either of their first two first-round picks. The Broncos could also use him and select him with their first-round pick. If he slips a bit, the Dolphins could pick him in the backend of the first-round.
My NFL comparison for Lloyd is Jets’ linebacker, CJ Mosley. Much like Devin Lloyd, Mosley was a very strong tackler and a very instinctive player in college. Mosley has gone on to have a very successful NFL career, making 4 Pro Bowls and 4 All-Pro Teams. Lloyd is a projected 1st round pick, much like CJ was all those years ago.
Grading scale: 95+ Generational | 90-94, Early 1st Round | 85-90, Mid/Late 1st Round | 80-84, 2nd Round | 75-79, 3rd Round | 70-74, 4th Round | 65-69, 5/6th Round | 60-64 6/7th Round | <60, Undrafted Free Agents
Grade and Draft Value:
92/100 – I have him as my joint best linebacker and my joint 12th player on my big board. While he has an early 1st round grade, the positional value of linebackers has pushed him down to a mid 1st round player.
Lloyd has had a very good career for the Utes and projects to be a very good player in the NFL with his tackling ability. If he improves his coverage ability, he will be a lock for the top linebacker, but we will see if he can do that in the Senior Bowl.
WRITTEN BY SHAUNAK HARIT
DRAFT TALK – 1st Round Preview – Ninety-Nine Yards
- DRAFT TALK – 1st Round Preview
- DRAFT TALK – Final Mock Draft Madness
- DRAFT TALK – QB Special
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 TE + LB
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 CBs + S
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 OT + IOL
- DRAFT TALK – Matt Waletzko Interview Special
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 EDGE + DTs
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 RBs + WRs
- Seahawks end an era, start a new one
Feature Image Credit: 247Sports
Video Credit: PAC-12 Network