As we review the 2022 NFL Draft we will be giving out team grades for all 32 teams, going division by division.
We of course won’t know how these drafts will plan out until the players take to the field but here we grade each draft upon how we evaluated each player.
Here are our AFC West team grades.
AFC WEST TEAM GRADES
Denver Broncos – B-
- #64 – NIK BONITTO – DE – Oklahoma
- #80 – GREG DULCICH – TE – UCLA
- #115 – DAMARRI MATHIS – CB – Pitt
- #116 – EYIOMA UWAZURIKE – DT – Iowa St
- #152 – DELARRIN TURNER-YELL – S – Oklahoma
- #162 – MONTRELL WASHINGTON – WR – Samford
- #171 – LUKE WATTENBERG – IOL – Washington
- #206 – MATT HENNINGSEN – DT – Wisconsin
- #232 – FAION HICKS – CB – Wisconsin
Add Russell Wilson into this draft class and the Broncos will be happy with their haul. Nik Bonitto was drafted with the pick that the Broncos got in the Von Miller Trade and he is explosive off the edge. He wasn’t always used in the best way at Oklahoma and if the Broncos can get him as a pass rusher rather than dropping him to much into coverage he could be a top player. Replacing Noah Fant with Greg Dulcich isn’t a bad move and he will offer a consistent, strong target for Russell Wilson. On day 3 they got a nice pickup in Mathis and Henningsen, while other picks will improve their special teams unit and have to prove themselves as developmental guys.
Kansas City Chiefs – A+
- #21 – TRENT MCDUFFIE – CB – Washington
- #30 – GEORGE KARLAFTIS – DE – Purdue
- #54 – SKYY MOORE – WR – W. Michigan
- #62 – BRYAN COOK – S – Cincinnati
- #103 – LEO CHENAL – LB – Wisconsin
- #135 – JOSHUA WILLIAMS – CB – Fayetteville St
- #145 – DARIAN KINNARD – IOL – Kentucky
- #243 – JAYLEN WATSON – CB – Washington St
- #251 – ISIAH PACHECO – RB – Rutgers
- #259 – NAZEEH JOHNSON – CB – Marshall
The Kansas City Chiefs proved yet again why they are so successful. Just draft good players. Trent McDuffie and George Karlaftis are game changers on defense and both will bring relentless toughness and attitude. Skyy Moore is such a Chiefs type of player and he will offer something different to the WR room in KC with there being a transition at the position. Leo Chenal is yet another physical linebacker who has really good eyes and instincts. He will slot in alongside last year’s pick Nick Bolton and now look set at that position.
The Chiefs then went for a top player on the interior offensive line in Darian Kinnard who was expected to be a day 2 pick but there now could be some injury concerns with his knees. The situation is similar to Trey Smith last year who dropped deep into day 3 because of injry despite being a solid prospect. To then also get 2 quality corners in Josh Williams and Jaylen Watson, just tops off what was an awesome draft from the Kansas City Chiefs.
Las Vegas Raiders – B
- #90 – DYLAN PARHAM – IOL – Memphis
- #122 – ZAMIR WHITE – RB – Georgia
- #126 – NEIL FARRELL JR – DT – LSU
- #175 – MATTHEW BUTLER – DT – Tennessee
- #238 – THAYER MUNFORD – OT – Ohio St
- #250 – BRITTAIN BROWN – RB – UCLA
When you include that Davante Adams was traded to the Raiders for their 1st round selection, the Raiders will see that as tremendous value. As for the draft picks, Dylan Parham is a quality pick up and was viewed by our NFL Draft writers as the unanimous #5 interior offensive lineman in the 2022 NFL Draft. Neil Farrell and Matthew Butler are 2 good defensive tackles who have complementary skills and are still developing.
Thayer Munford is possibly the favourite pick here. He offers inside/outside versatility and could start at either right guard or right tackle, depending on how the new regime in Las Vegas views last year’s first round pick, Alex Leatherwood.
Los Angeles Chargers – B+
- #17 – ZION JOHNSON – IOL – Boston College
- #79 – JT WOODS – S – Baylor
- #123 – ISAIAH SPILLER – RB – Texas A&M
- #160 – OTITO OGBONNIA – ST – UCLA
- #195 – JAMAREE SALYER – IOL – Georgia
- #214 – JA’SIR TAYLOR – CB – Wake Forest
- #236 – DEANE LEONARD – CB – Ole Miss
- #260 – ZANDER HORVATH – FB – Purdue
It was expected that offensive line could be in play for the Chargers at #17 and they get a quality pick up in Zion Johnson. Johnson had impressed immensely over the pre draft process and will bring versatility on the offensive line. JT Woods was selected on day 2 which will allow Derwin James to play in the box some more.
Two day 3 pickups which are really nice picks are Isaiah Spiller and Jamaree Salyer. Spiller was viewed as the top running back in the 2022 NFL Draft for some analysts and although he didn’t have a stand out pre draft process should be able to be productive in LA. Salyer was a player who had all the ability to go much earlier than this and quite how he made it to pick #195 is a huge shock.
DRAFT TALK – 1st Round Preview – Ninety-Nine Yards
- DRAFT TALK – 1st Round Preview
- DRAFT TALK – Final Mock Draft Madness
- DRAFT TALK – QB Special
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 TE + LB
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 CBs + S
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 OT + IOL
- DRAFT TALK – Matt Waletzko Interview Special
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 EDGE + DTs
- DRAFT TALK – Top 5 RBs + WRs
- Seahawks end an era, start a new one